Perfectus Biomed are specialists in designing, running and interpreting biofilm assays. We offer both standard and customised biofilm testing models.
Understanding the problem of biofilms
Microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and yeast can either exist as free floating planktonic entities or they can attach to a surface (or one another) to form a microbial biofilm. In nature, 80% of bacteria exist within a biofilm.
When microorganisms live beneath a biofilm, they are significantly less susceptible to antimicrobial agents (and the host’s immune system).
Standard biofilm testing focuses almost exclusively on planktonic bacteria, As such, current standard testing may underestimate the quantity of active agent required to effectively remove a microbial biofilm.
The type of biofilm testing that we offer?
Perfectus Biomed will work with you to help you understand the benefits of the different biofilm testing models. We will then choose a test method that is most suitable for your product.
We will test your product using either commercially available biofilm models or adapt/design a biofilm model that suites your requirement.
Please contact us if you do not see the model you are interested in on the list below.
Examples of available test models:
- Microtitre plate assay
- Calgary biofilm device: Minimum Biofilm Eradication Concentration (MBEC) and Minimum Biofilm Inhibition Concentration (MBIC)
- CDC reactor model (ASTM E2871 and ASTM E2562)
- Drip flow reactor model (ASTM E2647)
- Colony drip flow reactor model
- Porcine skin explant drip flow model
- Flow cell reactor model
- Models are available using static or continuous flow systems
List of UKAS ISO 17025:2005 accredited biofilm test methodologies:
SOP 536: MBEC
SOP 537: CDC reactor model
SOP 538: Drip flow reactor model
Find our schedule of accreditation here.
Common variations on these assays include
- Multiple range of proven biofilm forming pathogens are available for testing
- Single and multi-species assays available as requested
- Biofilm testing using anaerobic bacteria
- Biofilm testing using yeast and fungi
Our library of test organism includes…
Choose from our library of test organism including standard reference strains, clinical isolates and environmental isolates.
Single or mixed species assays containing:
Enterococcus faecium (VRE)
Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA and MSSA)
WHO Priority organisms.
Other- please ask.
- Sci-Tech Daresbury post article on Perfectus Biomed’s growth
- Perfectus Biomed attending CBE’s 2018 Biofilm Science & Technology meeting in Montana
- The FDA’s 510(k) Submission Process; Common Reasons for Receiving a Refuse-to-Accept (RTA) Decision
- Perfectus Biomed, BSN Medical and the University of Huddersfield collaborate on Innovate UK project!
- Perfectus Biomed are exhibiting at WCICT 2018
- Perfectus Biomed relocate to brand new office and laboratory!
- Perfectus Biomed are exhibiting at Biofilms 8, 2018
- Perfectus Biomed will be exhibiting at the Dental Technology Showcase 2018
- Perfectus Biomed will be exhibiting at the EWMA 2018 conference
- Our Microbiological Sectors and Services